Sunday, November 17, 2013

Sea Forager Coastal Update Nov 2013, pt 3






Lingcod


This is without a doubt the best time of the year to go out there and catch yourself a lingcod.  They move in close to shore in the fall. I was  on a commercial trip out of HMB recently and we bagged 18 in one day.  The water is just loaded with blue meanies right now.  I unloaded another 26 from a boat fishing further down the coast.  In my case the best bait was a very large white swimbait with an 8 ounce jig head.  But  large frozen sardines with a stinger hook on the tail are the way to go, especially if you're targeting lings specifically, because very little else (except a cabezon or a large vermillion) is interested in swallowing a large sardine whole.


Purple Urchins


I know I mentioned this last time but, man, the urchins are simply loaded with uni right now!  So make sure you get out there on these big upcoming tides.  Urchins are found at the extreme edge of the low tide line, as close to the sub-tidal as possible, and yes, you can use a tool to pry them off the rocks.

And that's it for my belated November update.  
Again, if you want to be contacted about herring tours email me ("herring tour") at fish@seaforager.com 
And come on out for my monthly Sea Forager party on 11/20 (this Wednesday @ 6pm) at Driftwood! Sea songs, fish tales, fishermen and cold beer. It's fun.
Kirk-out

No comments:

Post a Comment