Sunday, November 17, 2013

Sea Forager Coastal Update Nov 2013, pt 2




Dungeness Crab




How could it be that we're two days into the commercial crab season and I'm already sick of crabs?  Just trying to figure out how in the hell I'm going to get crabs to all my Sea Forager Seafood customers is enough to increase my blood pressure drastically.  That and navigating my way around all the pots at the wharf.  Yikes.

As far as catching your own.  I'm just going to say for the record that my snares are working exceedingly well.  That's what everyone tells me.  The crabs are very shallow right now and that works out well for all the shore fishermen out there.  Took me 20 minutes to land two hawg crabs in Bolinas recently.  I only had a brief window to fish, but threw out my snare just as the tide started coming in at dusk.  Got robbed twice and then landed two in my last five minutes.  Not bad for 20 minutes of fishing.

Definitely seems to help fishing on the incoming tide for crabs.  That's what always works for me.



Surf Perch



There've been a few reports of a good perch fishing in the HMB area, but I can't confirm any.  And Pissed of Pete (the true perch expert) tells me he's only catching dinks.  And very few rubberlips or pile perch yet.  Hopefully things will pick up on the perch front.
One area that seems to be holding a lot of perch is the South Bay.  It always surprises me to hear that the perch caught around Burlingame and the San Mateo Bridge are mostly barreds--and a few redtails!  Both of these species are normally associated with the open coast.  Not sure why they show up in the south end of the bay?  Must be something down there they like eating.  Pile worms?  Shore crab larvae?
FYI: The only time to fish these areas is high tide.  Otherwise you'll be casting out onto dry land.  Especially down by the San Mateo bridge.



____________________________________________________


Return to top and hit "next" arrow for the rest of this update (which includes Lingcod and Purple Urchins).

No comments:

Post a Comment