Thursday, September 5, 2013

September 2013 Coastal Update II

(Sept 2013 Coastal Update continued)


 Now let's get down to it:

Sept 2013

Crime Against Nature? Or Great Sporting Opportunity?


39b6620c1e1dbba6d58186c0807ab027



A few years ago as part of the Monterey Bay Trout And Salmon Project's ongoing attempt to bolster commercial and recreational salmon fishing opportunities, many thousands of salmon smolts were dumped into Santa Cruz harbor. The idea was that in addition to increasing catch in the waters surrounding Santa Cruz, these “sea-locked” fish would eventually head back into the harbor (following the salmon's instinctive impulse) and thus offer the shore-based fishing contingent a golden opportunity at big game sport fishing. Well... guess what? The salmon have been invading the inner harbor at Santa Cruz all month. I'm talking 15 to 20 pounders catchable 15 feet from shore!

I'm not going to lie... there is something kind of off-putting about this fishery. It's great that people can go catch a salmon from shore right now, and of course that was the purpose of these fish from the ge­t go. But... but... I don't know... I can't help thinking about those poor fish. The spawning instinct is so strong in them. And we're using that instinct to sort of pervert their life cycle. In short, there's no real creek for these fish to return to. There's no gravel bed waiting for them. Yes I know this is totally irrational of me but it seems like an affront to the great salmon deity in the sky.  Even though it is essentially the same as most hatchery programs.

And at the same time, if you don't go down to Santa Cruz and kill a couple of these salmon right now, they're going to die anyway—unspawned and wasted. So by all means go get 'em. I'm just saying... on a certain level I'm ashamed of this fishery. Even if I have every intention of exploiting it myself. (Never said I wasn't conflicted).



Combat Fishing


AK-Combat-Fishing-US-Fish-and-Wildlife

                                Combat fishing in Alaska


The secret is out of course, so if you head down to SC be advised, it's elbow to elbow and side to side in the back end of the harbor. A tad better out on the jetty. I'm going down there next week. The guy with the elbow pads, goggles, and helmet will most likely be me. Oh, and don't bother saying hello. I won't be talking to anyone. Combat fishing is not my happy place. But if I'm going to do it, I intend to do it right—anti-social style.

One nice development is that DFG has designated all even number days as “kids only” days. Why? Not sure but I assume because they got tired of watching salty old fishermen pushing little kids out of the way to get at the fish! Oh yeah, no kayaks allowed. You have to fish from shore inside the harbor. The even/odd thing does not apply to the jetty.

_________________________________________________________________

 

Return to top and hit "Next" arrow for the rest of this update (which includes anchovies, sardines, and more).

No comments:

Post a Comment